Do You Know Your Personality Type?

When I was in junior high (so quite a few years ago now) I got totally obsessed with Myers-Briggs Personality Test. I'm not sure if you're familiar with what it's all about so I'll explain it in a few words. The test was created by a psychologist duo: Isabel Myers and Katherine Briggs (who are actually mother and daughter) to indicate which type of personality has the person taking the test. They distinguished 16 types of personality. Each one has a name consisting of four letters. Each letter corresponds to one dimension of human behavior. Every one of the four dimensions has two variants. I know it all saound complicated and messy but here's some practical information:

1. The first dimesion tells if someone is an extravert or an introvert. And of course it has two variants: E and I.
2. The second dimesion discribes the way in which the person collects information about the world surrounding them. It can be either sensing - S or intuition - N.
3. The third dimesion indicates the process that dominates during decision-making. Thinking (T) or feeling (F).
4. The last one describes the genaral attitude towards the world: judging (J) or perceiving (P).

I took the test and according to it my personality type is INFP which means that I'm an introvert that relies on her intuition. My desicions are based on what I'm feeling and I tend to just perceive the word rather than judge what I'm seeing. When I found out that fact about me I started to read everything I could find on the Internet about my personality type. And with almost every sentence I've read I internally screamed: "Yes! That's so me! I couldn't describe myself better." Then I also started looking up famous people and fictional characters that were said to also have the INFP personality type. I discovered that one of my favorite writers, C. S. Lewis was an INFP, too. And how happy I was to find out that my beloved book character - Anne Shirley had this personality type as well. Finally I had in my hands a scientific proof of the bond connecting me with them.

But it wasn't until a few years ago when I realised that I'd been using this whole personality type theory wrong. I would often justify defects of my character or my poor social skills by saying to myself that it's all perfectly normal and natural for an INFP. Than I realised that I should use this knowledge I've gained to overcome my weaknesses and develop my strong features and in this way improve my character.

I'm still on my way but now I'm confident that I've found the right way of taking advantage of my knowledge about my personality type. I encourage you to take the test, too if you haven't done it yet and once you've learned about your strenghts and weaknesses you will be able to use that knowledge in your personal development. I think it has great value and I hope it will help you understand yourself better as it helped me:)



Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

The Dark World of Harlan Coben

My Place On Earth

My Favourite Scents