The Call of the Mountains

Today I want to tell you a little bit about the topic I've got really obsessed with recently.

You probably already know that I love wandering in the mountains because I talked about it in one of my previous posts. Up until now I was totally satisfied with our beautiful Polish Tatras. I've been there countless times and they never stop astonishing me. I'm sure they will forever remain one of my favorite holiday destinations.

However, a couple of months ago I came upon this book called Kukuczka. Opowieść o nasłynniejszym polskim himalaiście. And this story just fascinated me. I finished the book in two days and started digging deeper. I searched for books about other Himalaya climbers and watched films based on mountain tragedies that really happened in the past (like Touching the Void or Everest).

Because of that personal research of mine I actually got to fully celebrate an important anniversary that took place a few days ago. On February 17th 1980 two Polish climbers, Wojciech Wielicki and Leszek Cichy, for the first time in history stood on the peak of Mount Everest during the winter season. It was a huge achivement and a historic event because up until then people had only been climbing in Himalayas in the summer and it had been considered impossible to survive on the altitude over 7800 m. a. s. l. in the coldest moths. It's been exactly fourty years since the day in which Wielicki and Cichy prooved those opinions wrong.

That's one of the joyfull and triumphant parts of the history of climbing the world's highest mountains. But there are a lot of tragic ones, too. So many Polish climbers lost their lives in Himalayas! Amongst them are Jerzy Kukuczka, Wanda Rutkiewicz, Dobrosława Miodowicz-Wolf, Tadeusz Piotrowski, Artur Hajzer, Maciej Berbeka, Tomasz Kowalski, Tomasz Mackiewicz. It's a lot of names!

But they all knew the risk and they took it anyway. And I get that, I really, really do. It's true what that say about the Mountains. If you don't understand why people put their lives in danger just to reach another summit, there's no way of explaining it to you. But if you do understand that, you just do; no explanation is needed.

So recently a new dream has been born in my heart. I want to see the Himalayas with my own eyes. I'm not saying I will climb the Everest, I know my limits. It would be enough to just stand at the foot of the mountain and look at it. I hope one day this dream will come true, or even more importantly I hope I will have enough energy and determination to make it true.

Keep you fingers crossed!

Listen to this beautiful song by a polish rapper named Miuosh. I think it grasps very well the idea of what the call of the Mountains really is.
Source: YouTube

Komentarze

  1. Entierly share you mountains fascination. All mountain paths and landscapes merit to be mention, ever. Your objectiv to see the Himalaya is very ambitious, challenging and...a little bit expensive as well. Whish you the best:)

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

The Dark World of Harlan Coben

My Place On Earth

My Favourite Scents