The Dark World of Harlan Coben

I'm not completely sure why but I really enjoy watching crime shows. There's just something so compelling about slowly revealing all the secrets and finding out who is the murderer. Of course, not every crime series is great but I've recently seen two terrific ones and I'd like to tell you a little bit about them.

Both of them are based on Harlan Coben's novels. I've never read any of them but Coben is a writer and a producer on both shows, so I guess they are pretty faithful to the original books. One is called The Stranger, the other is called Safe. They are actually very similar to each other and a viewer can find many parallels between the two of them, both plot-wise and characters-wise. 

Both stories are set in the same background; in a suburban community of very successful and wealthy people. At first sight it seems like their lives are perfect and there is no place for any kind of darkness or horror there. However, not so far into the shows we realize that it's right there where the most sinister and wicked things occur.

In both series some dark secrets that had long been buried come to light and it starts a chain reaction that cannot be stopped anymore. It is all very intense and emotionally engaging for the viewer. I stayed up really late watching one episode after another wanting to find out who is the culprit. Not to spoil anything, I can only say that it's always the person that you least expected to be the murderer. 

For me, the message of both shows is the following: There is nothing that will stay hidden forever and you can never fully know anybody, even those closest to you. Fear, guilt and shame can make people do terrible things; things they didn't even know themselves that they were capable of. 

It all seems pretty dark, but for me it's actually quite refreshing to dive into this fictional world of crime and terror and then realize that my own reality is not as bad as it sometimes appears to be. At least I don't have to chase any murderers or hide any dark secrets from the past.

Both shows are available on Netflix, so if you feel intrigued by what I wrote you can go and watch them both right now. (Srew homework!)

Take care and see you next time!

source: Google Images
source: Google Images

Komentarze

  1. I'm a bit late with my comments, but... I have seen both shows and only now do I realise that they have been written by the same writer. Of course, it makes perfect sense! They are both excellent and engaging. Normally I'm not a binger, but I "dealt with" each of them in two days! There were so many mysteries, clues and red herrings that it was impossible to stop watching until the end. Yes, crime shows are my guilty pleasure too, guilty as charged ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
    Odpowiedzi
    1. Did you know that Netflix is realising another series based on a book by Harlan Coben but this time it's a Polish production? The whole thing is set in Poland, with Polish actors ecc. I think that today is actually the premiere.

      Usuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

My Place On Earth

My Favourite Scents