My Favourite Scents

You know how they say that most people are visual learners and others have more developed sense of hearing? But why do we take into consideration only these two senses and don't talk about the other ones? Some time ago I realised that smells, scents, odours and aromas are a huge part of my reality. They have the power to ease my mind and help me relax. They can trigger memories that I didn't know I still remembered. For example when I start using again a shampoo that I used to wash my hair with some time ago, suddenly my mind is filled with images and memories from that period. Or when my mum makes exactly the same apple pie that she would make when I was a kid and I can smell just a hint od its aroma, I'm immediately taken back to my childhood.

So, today let me present you some of my favourite scents. It's such a pity I can't pass them on to you through the screen and only talk about them, but you can always use your imagination or maybe even surround yourself with your favourite aromas and then you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Let's start with a classic: the smell of the rain. I love its freshness and the way it clears the air. When I smell the rain I have a feeling that all the past is being washed away and everything is ready for a new start.

Usually I'm not very fond of flowery smells but there's one tree species which blooms with little white flowers and I'm literally addicted to their scent. It's so rich, so abundant, almost overwhelming! I get dizzy when I smell them for too long but it's a nice kind of dizziness, if you know what I mean. But I haven't said the name of the plant yet: it's bird cherry tree (in Polish czeremcha). Whenever I'm walking through the forest or cycling in the fields I intentionally look for that tree to be able to smell its flowers even just for a moment.

Now let's go from the blooming fields and meadows right to the middle of a city during a hot summer afternoon. Under such sircumstances nothing I love more than the smell of an old, damp basement in an old, damp tenement house. When its coolness reaches me while I'm walking under the burning sun, I feel a physical need to stop for a moment and inhale this smell deeply. It's almost like a sip of cold water and I immediately feel relieved because I hate hot weather.

The last smell for today is the scent of the autumn leaves being burned in a bonfire. It's nostalgic, sentimental and melancholic and so am I. I think that if I were to create my own perfumes, I would choose this fragrance. Maybe I would be the only one willing to wear them but that's totally ok :).

I have many others smells that I love: old books, frankincense, coffee...But this post is already really long, so I'll stop here. But feel free to share your favourite scents and aromas in the comments.

Take care an see you next time!

Komentarze

  1. What about smell of salt water of the ocean?

    OdpowiedzUsuń
    Odpowiedzi
    1. Noooo...I'm a mountain kind of person, I don't really like spending my vacations at the seaside or by the ocean. But if it's one of your favourite scents I hope you will be able to see and smell the ocean really soon:)

      Usuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

The Dark World of Harlan Coben

My Place On Earth