Was I Born in The Wrong Era?

Everybody has their own favorite type of comfort movie (unless somebody doesn't watch movies at all but that's a whole another case). A comfort movie is your go-to one when you've had a horrible day, you're totally exhausted and the only thing you want to do is to hop under a warm blanket with a bowl of butter cookies (or peanuts in the "fit" version) in one hand and a glass of hot chocolate in the other, and just relax. You don't want to challenge yourself intellectually or in any other way so complicated psychological dramas or anything directed by Andrzej Wajda are out of the question. 

Some people like to relax watching a horror movie - I'm not judging but I will never understand that. Others prefer a romantic comedy to cheer them up. As for me, my favorite type of comfort movie is a good, solid costume drama. Preferably based on a Jane Austen novel. I think, what I most love about these films is that they allow me to escape the reality and for a moment go back in time and feel like I was a young lady in the Victorian era, wearing cute dresses and waiting for a wealthy and handsome gentleman to marry me :D

When it comes to Jane Austen's novels not only did she write quite a few of them but also the majority of them have been brought to screen not once but multiple times as feature-length films or tv shows.  And you can believe me or not but I've seen them all. Usually I binge-watch them when I feel miserable and even though I know some of the scenes by heart they always warm my soul and make me feel at home. Another thing about these movies which I find very comforting is the fact that there is always a happy ending. After numerous misjudgements and misunderstandings the female and the male protagonists always end up together and live happily ever after. I know it's never that easy in real life but when you desperately need some comforting you don't care if the story is realistic or not, you just want it to be altogether cheerful.

Here are some of my favorite screen adaptations of Jane Austen's novels:

Sense and Sensibility (1995)
The first title that pops into my head when someone asks me "You remember that movie with Emma Thompson
and Hugh Grant?" is NOT Love Actually but Sense and Sensibility


Emma (1996)
Gwyneth Paltrow is so adorable as Emma!
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
The iconic love confession scene between Lizzie and Mr. Darcy
Mansfield Park (2007)
Don't they look cute together? Fanny and Edmund for me are a match made in heaven!

Persuasion (2007)
I've already lost count of how many times I've seen this movie. Probably over 20.
But one thing I'm sure of is that I'm not gonna stop there

Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

The Dark World of Harlan Coben

My Place On Earth

My Favourite Scents