What's Being the Oldest Child Like

In today's post I'd like to share with you some of my experience of being the oldest of five children. Well, first I need to clarify something. I have a twin sister but she's five minutes younger and she's the crazy and the messy one while I'm the one who's more responsible and neat. (Don't worry, she won't be offended because she knows it's true, we've talked about that many times). 

So I'm 23 years old and I'm the oldest. Then there's my twin sister, Martyna, five minutes younger than me. Then we have a 20-year-old brother who's name is Gabriel (but we still call him Gabryś, because he will always be our little brother although he's much taller than us and he wears a beard). Next there is Mikołaj (also known as Mikuś), who's 15 years old . And last but not least is our little one, Agnieszka who will soon turn 7 years old. 

We are all very different from one another. Gabriel is a math genius, while I've been always very good at literature. Martyna is good at both human studies and science subjects. Mikuś and Agusia are the loudest ones, they're very musical and they love playing with each other but at the same time they are constantly arguing and screaming at each other, as brothers and sisters do. 

Since I'm the oldest one, I've always felt as some kind of a third parent. I'm sure other people who are the oldest siblings know exactly what I mean. I don't know if I was born with this sense of responsibility for my brothers and sisters or if it has developed in me because of the fact that I have always been the oldest. It feels to me like the most natural thing on Earth. 

Being the oldest sibling can be frustrating, to be honest. Especially when you see your brothers and sisters getting older and they are obviously being treated by your parents differently that you were being treated at that age. They don't really need to respect the curfew and you were getting a dressing-down every time you came home fifteen minutes after the settled time. 

But the older I get the more I'm starting to understand that. It's natural than you are being more careful with your first child because you don't feel confident as a parent yet. And being the oldest can be also really rewarding and a lot of fun. I'm actually the godmother of my youngest sister and I enjoy that very much! I like picking good children books to read to her, I love watching her learning new things everyday, I'm so proud when I see how smart and innocent she is. And I love getting her drawings that she made just for me❤.

I'm sure that being the oldest sibling have been preparing me to be a good parent in the future and that is a very precious knowledge. And even though at times it's annoying to be the third parent, I feel very much blessed to be the oldest of five and I can say with confidence it's one of the best things that's happened to me in my entire life.


Komentarze

Popularne posty z tego bloga

The Dark World of Harlan Coben

My Place On Earth

My Favourite Scents